Thursday, December 9, 2010

Music For The People

For awhile now I've known I should hit the streets with my guitar and take what I do outside. While in Redding, CA I was feeling the urge to sing songs on the streets and in the shopping centers of Newport News. In many cities around the world it's not uncommon to see a "busker" (or street performer) out making a little money playing in front of people with an open case. In the city of Newport News it's not common at all.

For the past couple of months I've been doing this and my experiences have been many. I have had the opportunity to pray with folks, encourage the passerby and entertain those who have walked by me since I've "gone public". I've sang impromptu duets with folks that want to get in on the fun and share their song. I've been asked "why didn't you ever go professional?". I've been told how I remind someone of a son or brother who is a musician. I've been told I was panhandling by the police and asked to leave. I've been encouraged to sing/play through amplifiers so that "everybody can hear you". I've been given $20 bills and penny's. I've had folks in wheelchairs give me money. Little children have often walked up to me with awe in their eyes that someone is actually playing guitar and singing OUTSIDE often with single dollars in their hands to throw in my guitar case. I've worshiped God in front of retail stores. I've entertained mini-vans who parked in front of my spot so that someone can roll down the window and listen. Goth kids, elderly folks, white and black people, store managers, professionals, vagabonds, mothers & fathers have all told me that they like what I'm doing.
At once I've been affirmed as a performer and made some money to buy pizza for the night. How fun.

These days are the kind that many feel are full of fear. Folks are grasping for something that just seems to be out of reach. They see a better life for their families but just can't get there through all the dangers, toils and snares of the times. Strummed melodies and heart songs connect strangers. They have the potential to put us in a better mood. They rally us together when a noble theme is present. Joy and dreams come alive as we join in and soon the storm has been calmed long enough for us to see what's ahead. A favorite of mine during this time has been to sing Johnny Cash's version of U2's song "One" and I've been struck with the shared journey we all are on. We are all on a journey and we need each other to get there. In "One" Bono sings, "We're one but we're not the same. We've got to carry each other, carry each other. One."

photo by
Tomascastelazo

No comments:

Post a Comment